Cannabigerol (CBG) is a cannabinoid compound that has been gaining interest in the health industry. Being the stem cell of Cannabis sativa and a new member of the family, people now consider CBG as the forerunner of cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and both are popular active ingredients of the hemp plant and have been giving therapeutic benefits for a long time now.
While most cannabis genetics comprise only a small CBG content (about 1%), more and more consumers and health experts realize the benefits of its properties. With health benefits that CBG offers, various individuals with specific needs are administering cannabinoid supplements like CBG oil for treatment.
How Does the CBG Function?
CBG works together with the ECS (endocannabinoid system) in the body. The ECS supports homeostasis, which is the state of steady and stable conditions of the biological systems, chemically, internally, and physically. ECS comes with three components; endocannabinoids, metabolic enzymes, and cannabinoid receptors.
- Endocannabinoids help improve anandamide.
- Metabolic enzymes prevent metabolic activity due to THC’s psychoactive effects from occurring.
- Cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2) interact with CBG, causing physiological changes in the body.
Uses of CBG
While CBG is known to provide psychological benefits, it also promises to treat various health symptoms and conditions, benefiting individuals with specific health needs. Here are some of the uses of CBG:
- Antibacterial effects. CBG has been showing signs of having antimicrobial effects. If you are using antibiotics to treat your health condition, a CBG supplement can be quite useful in strengthening your immunity.
- Relief from symptoms of depression. CBG contains anti-anxiety and antidepressant properties, which aid in finding relief from depression. Also, several studies have shown that CBG may help boost the anandamide levels in the brain; thus, providing anxiety relief.
- Neuroprotective effect. It is beneficial for the health of the brain, as CBG intake protects it against cognitive decline. It helps individuals suffering from neurological conditions, like Huntington’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Relief from inflammatory bowel disease and bladder dysfunction. Several studies have revealed that CBG can help soothe painful swelling in the lower bowel, and cannabinoids may stop the body’s inflammatory response in the gut. Also, if you have an overactive bladder, using CBG can decrease your bladder contractions.
- Aid in psoriasis management. As cannabigerol contacts the endocannabinoid system in the body, some studies have shown that this process can treat psoriasis.
- Help stimulate appetite. The experts discovered that there is some evidence that CBG is an appetite stimulator. Therefore, people may use it to manage anorexia and other related illnesses. Also, there are no side effects as the number of meals you eat increases.
- Improve bone growth. Good health includes having strong bones. Athletes, in particular, need their bones to be stronger and prevent fractures from occurring. CBG can benefit their skeletal system, as they constantly subject their bones to a lot of pressure. Besides sportspersons, those with bone fractures experience a fast recovery by using CBG oil.
- Make you sleep better. If you have difficulty sleeping well, CBG can help. Certain stress-related conditions, such as depression and anxiety, are contributing factors to the lack of sleep. Use CBG oil to treat these disorders, and your bedtime will be better.
- Help relax muscles. CBG has the ability to work as a muscle relaxant, so it is beneficial for individuals with chronic pain and managing a sports injury.
- Anti-tumor effects. A few studies discovered that CBG could slow down the development of certain cancers, like prostate, colon, and breast. Since this supplement can help increase appetite, it can fight against loss of appetite—a side effect of chemotherapy.
- Aid in glaucoma treatment. CBG can help stop the intraocular pressure in the eye that causes glaucoma. Cannabinoids, including CBG, can activate the endocannabinoid receptors in the eyes, which triggers a change in the intraocular pressure.
CBG oil is a new product in the cannabinoid market. The key ingredient of this oil is cannabigerol and is typically formulated as tinctures. If it is your first time using CBG oil, use 1-2 drops every day. You may increase your dosage as soon as your body gets comfortable with the substance.
CBG has many interesting transformative properties, taking it to the forefront of various studies involving cannabinoids. If you are dealing with some symptoms mentioned above, CBG oil may be the supplement to help you fight your illness.