As the temperature begins to dip and the pollution rises in the air, your sniffles, and other ailments will start acting up. This is probably because your immune system has been compromised. While most of you will turn to medicines to rebuild your body’s defences, you should know that there are some super herbs that will prevent these infections from entering your body altogether.
Let’s have a look at 5 such herbs that will super charge your immune system and keep you healthy through the winter season.
- Tulsi: Incorporating tulsi into your daily routine is an ideal way to boost your immune system. Tulsi leaves are rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from free radicals and other pollutants. Research shows that tulsi stimulates the production of immunity cells, which help fight against infections. Drinking tulsi tea or chewing tulsi leaves on an empty stomach increases your body’s resistance to the infections floating around.
- Ginger: The ginger root contains chemicals like gingerols and shagaols, which improves blood circulation and opens your sinuses. With the boost in blood circulation, oxygen levels increase and results in flushing out of the toxins and infections from your body. Ginger is a powerful antiseptic that helps kill bacteria internally as well as topically. It also helps reduce fever, soothe sore throat and remove mucus from the chest when it is congested. Last but not the least, it is also an excellent herb to soothe irritation in the intestinal tract.
- Garlic: This pungent smelling super herb has amazing powers to fight inflammation and boost the body’s immunity. It is a natural antibiotic and contains a compound called ‘allicin’, which is produced when raw garlic is crushed, chewed or sliced. This compound boosts resistance of the body to viruses that cause the common cold and flu. Just don’t go out on dates after eating raw garlic!
- Giloy:The ‘root of immortality’ or giloy is an immuno-modulator herb. It boosts the immune system to fight against infections. It is also a powerhouse of antioxidants which helps remove toxins, combat liver diseases and urinary tract infections.
- Amla: The Indian Gooseberry, which is popularly known as amla is packed with the goodness of Vitamin C. Our wise grandmothers believed that the sour amla fruit was the perfect remedy for cold and cough. Just grate some amla into your food for your daily shot and help your body build the immunity to fight against the winter flu and bring a healthy glow to your skin.
Consuming any of these super herbs will significantly strengthen your immune system and prepare you for the winter. Because winter is coming and prevention is always better than cure. So eat right, exercise enough and sleep well for a healthy mind and body.
Meet the Author – Raman Raghav is building a natural wellness destination platform at GoNutrio.com. He is passionate about helping people overcome the harmful effects of unhealthy environments and modern lifestyles by providing access to high-quality organic and natural supplements, teas and infusions, oils and health foods.