Everybody knows the path toward a healthier body – eat healthy foods, reduce sugar and calorie intake, and exercise. It is not a grand secret available only to the elite. However, some people need a push to make the first step toward a lifestyle change. And this is where weight loss supplements come in.
Most of the best supplements for weight loss that you see on the market today work through one of these three ways:
- They will help boost your metabolism, so you burn those calories
- They will help cut down your appetite, which means you do not ingest more calories
- They will help absorb nutrients such as fat, which means your body does not take in more calories.
Everybody is jumping on the bandwagon since the diet market continues to grow. For instance, between 2015 and 2020, the industry is projected to reach a compound annual growth rate of 9.1 percent. By the year 2020, the weight management market would be valued at $422.8 billion.
The growth of the market is hardly surprising. Although the United States made gains in recent years, obesity is still a problem.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revealed that 2 in 10 adolescents between 12 and 19 years old are considered obese. Meanwhile, 13.9% of children aged 2-5 years have a weight problem, and the prevalence increases to 18.4% of the population for children aged 6-11.
Types of Weight Loss Supplements
The best supplements for weight loss fall under four categories:
- Tablets – Their form can be round or cylindrical. Some people could not swallow solid substances like pills, so they should steer clear from this product.
- Capsules – They can be solid or in gel form. It would help if you had a full stomach before you can drink the pill.
- Powder – You can blend the powder into the water, juice, milk, or any other beverage.
- Liquid – You can directly drink the liquid weight loss supplement. Different products offer varied flavors, but more often than not, the product is tasteless.
But Do They Work?
According to data, about 15.2% of adult Americans are using weight loss products to help them achieve their dream bodies. The prevalence rate among women is double that of men (11.3% against 6.0%, respectively)
Weight loss products contain ingredients such as caffeine, green tea extract, extra protein to boost your metabolism, fiber to help burn fat, and yohimbine. It is a natural ingredient that is extracted from the Pausinystalia Yohimbe, which can be found in Western or Central Africa. The natives used it as a sex enhancer, but it also blocks the alpha-2 adrenergic receptors. In doing so, they direct your system to prolong the effects of adrenaline to burn more fat for fuel.
In 2006, 20 soccer players took 10 milligrams of yohimbine (twice daily). After three weeks, they lost 2.2 percent of their body fat. If you think 2.2 percent is small, consider that these are world-class athletes whose body fat range between six percent and 13 percent. For comparison, the average body fat for an American male and female is 40%.
So clearly, weight loss products work. However, if you buy the best supplements for weight loss, it does not give you the license to be careless. You cannot eat as much as you want, avoid the gym like the plague, and continue your sedentary lifestyle.