Oral care is more important than most of us think. Now, you think that I brush regularly, floss regularly, so what could possibly go wrong with my dental health? Now, wait! This is the point where most of us go wrong. There’s so much more when it comes to taking proper care of your teeth and overall oral health than to just regular brushing and flossing.
There are certain oral habits that could lead to a sound oral health and there are also few which we practice that unknowingly effects our overall dental well-being in a negative way. But, first things first. One should be aware in the first place that kids and adults alike, ignoring a minor dental infection could lead to some severe health issues. Hence, practising some good habits or rather avoiding some bad habits which mostly are related to our brushing can go a long way when it comes to the well-being of our overall dental habits.
Surprisingly, most of us are not even aware that our brushing habits are doing our teeth more harm than benefit. One of the reasons being to this situation as per expert dental houses like cove dental, p.c is not being sufficiently knowledgeable about good brushing practices.
Hence, in this article, we will discuss 5 bad brushing habits that can harm your teeth.
5 Bad brushing habits affecting our teeth:
- When it comes to discussing bad brushing habits, the one that tops the chart is brushing too heavily or in an aggressive way. Brushing your teeth with firm and hard bristles can wear out your gums and teeth gradually. Hence, it is advised that one should brush their teeth with soft bristles and also take care of not pressing the brush against your teeth too hard.
- Choosing the wrong kind of tool or in this case, the wrong type of brush can also cause your teeth a lot of harm without you even knowing you. It is good to avoid brushes with hard bristles and use the ones with soft bristles. Also, choosing an electric toothbrush with soft bristles can do the trick and these type of brush is also gentle on your gums and teeth. The best electric toothbrushes provide the right texture, feel and design to clean your teeth effectively without harming you in any way.
- Also, brushing regime and brushing pattern matters a lot when it comes to our oral health. Many of us tend to brush casually once a day, but the ideal regime is brushing your teeth twice a day or best, one should brush every time after having a meal. Also, faulty flossing technique can also harm your teeth in the long run though it’s not typically included within faulty brushing techniques.
- Another bad brushing habit is over brushing. Though it’s said that brushing every time after having a meal might help, but ideally brushing more than 3 times might actually be doing harm to your teeth. Also, brushing lightly and softly is recommended in order to keep your teeth from harm due to brushing.
- Most of us start brushing every day at the same point of our teeth, which might actually be a bad idea as per expert dentists. Hence, it is advised to switch starting point for your brushing every time in order to reduce continuous pressure on a particular place in the gums.
These above-mentioned ones are overall top 5 bad habits that can actually harm your teeth.